Working with York County Planning and Development Services has never been easier. You can now submit everything online for all your plans and permits. Click the button above.

In just 3 minutes you can set-up a unique account to access permit applications, upload site and building plans, inspection scheduling, fee payment and more. We want you to have the fastest, easiest and most convenient experience working with the County and the software.

If you need assistance with a digital submittal, please contact Bea McCarter, Development Services Coordinator, at 803-909-7238 or Hard copies are no longer required, but the Department will continue to accept paper submittals at this time. 

  • All required documents must be included in your submittal.
  • Click here for our payment policies.
  • Updates on the status of your submittal will be available on-line.


Development Fee Increases:
On July 1, 2017, the new ICC valuation table took effect. Commercial/industrial and residential permit fees will reflect the new valuations for buildings.

June 2016 Development Code Changes:
On June 20, 2016, York County Council approved the following amendments to the County Code:

York County Development Services Center's purpose is to assist developers with the all facets of the development  review process.  Its primary goal is to ensure timely review of plans and to serve as the primary contact point during the review process.  Our department acts as a liaison between County departments, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and property owners. We track the review of all plans, route them to the applicable departments, compile all comments and provide them to the developer/company representative for revision. The Center is committed to providing quality service to all our customers.  If at any time during this process you have a question, our Customer Service Representatives will be available to help.  If you have technical questions regarding your permit application, we can provide you with the name and contact information of the person who can best help you.

As part of our commitment to quality customer service, we promise to make every effort to assist applicants, respond to inquiries, and resolve complaints or concerns in a professional, courteous and timely manner.   We are constantly striving to better our services and welcome your feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please feel free to contact us at any time.  Quality Service Matters!

Department Documents and Permit Forms and Applications

Informational Documents

Permits, Forms, and Applications


Building Plan Format Requirements

Change of Use or Occupancy

Commercial Building Permit Fee Cost Calculation

Commercial Building Plan Review Requirements:

Interior Up-fit Checklist

New or Up-fit Building Information

Fire Plan Review Information - Building 

Fire Plan Review Information - Sprinkler

Handicap Accessible Site Plan Guidelines


2009 IECC Instruction Memo

2009 IECC Home Energy Efficiency Guide

Basic Requirements for Obtaining a Permit


Square Footage Construction Costs

Tent and Canopy Requirements

Roads & Water & Sewer

As-Built Summary Water & Sewer

Commercial Site Plan - Transportation Design Summary

Final Plat Summary Transportation, Water & Sewer

Preliminary Plat Summary - Transportation Design

Service Connection Summary Water & Sewer

Water & Sewer Design Summary


York County Sewer Specifications

York County Water Specifications


Commercial Site Plan Summary & Development Guide

Commercial Building Permit Application

Commercial Building Plan Review Application 

Commercial Sub Grade Form 


Fort Mill School Impact Fees

Owner's Disclosure Statement

Manufactured Home Title Retirement Application

Mobile Home Permit Application

NPDES Individual Lot Permit Questionnaire

Residential Building Permit Application

Residential Sub Grade Form

Additions Detail Sheet

Garage Storage Workshop Detail Sheet


Accessory Building Letter of Acknowledgement

Building Board of Appeals Petition

Swimming Pool Permit Application






























Zoning Documents and Permit Forms and Applications

Informational Documents Permits, Forms and Applications

USPS Cluster Mailbox Requirements

Zoning Board of Appeals 2017 Application Deadlines & Meeting Dates Calendar

Planning Commission 2017 Calendar



Emergency Temporary Dwelling Permit

Home Occupation Application less than 5 Acres

Home Occupation Application greater than 5 Acres

Lake Wylie/Catawba River Buffer Permit Application and Instructions

Lake Wylie/Catawba River Buffer Waiver Request Application

Power Authorization Request and Instructions

Performance Standards Agreement

Individual Plat Approval Form

Rezoning Application Form

Sign - Permanent Permit Application

Sign - Temporary Permit Application and Instructions

Temporary Roadside and Produce Stands

Temporary Fireworks Stand Permit Application and Instructions

Temporary Subdivision and Off-Premise Sign Application and Instructions

Violation Complaint Form

Zoning Board of Appeals Administrative Appeals Application and Instructions

Zoning Board of Appeals Public Service Use Application and Instructions

Zoning Board of Appeals Special Exception Application and Instructions

Zoning Board of Appeals Variance Application and Instructions

Zoning Board of Appeals Communication Tower Public Service Use Application and Instructions

Zoning Verification Request Form


Once my site plans are approved, when can I obtain my grading permit?
Once the county approves a site plan, the necessary information is sent to SCDHEC for NPDES permit issuance. SCDHEC has seven (7) business days from the date they receive the information to issue the permit, deny the permit, or request additional information. Land Disturbance is not allowed until SCDHEC grants NPDES permit coverage and a pre-construction meeting is held on-site.
How do I obtain a business license?
York County does not require a business license.
How does one become a Licensed Contractor?
Licenses may be obtained from the State of South Carolina by contacting the SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation at (803)896-4300 or by clicking here.
As a homeowner, can I get the required permit(s) to work on my house without using a contractor?
SECTION 40-59-260. Exception for projects by property owner for personal use; exemption disclosure statement; notice filed with register of deeds. (A) This chapter does not apply to an owner of residential property who improves the property or who builds or improves structures or appurtenances on the property if: (1) the owner does the work himself, with his own employees, or with licensed contractors or registered entities or individuals; (2) the structure, group of structures, or appurtenances, including the improvements, are intended for the owner's sole occupancy for occupancy by the owner's family and are not intended for sale or rent; and (3) the general public does not have access to this structure. (B) In an action brought under this chapter, proof of the sale or rent or the offering for sale or rent of the structure by the owner-builder within two years after completion or issuance of a certificate or occupancy is prima facie evidence that the project was undertaken for the purpose of sale or rent, unless otherwise approved by the commission, and is subject to the penalties provided in this chapter. As used in this section, "sale" or "rent" includes an arrangement by which an owner receives compensation in money, provisions, chattel, or labor from the occupancy, or the transfer of the property or the structures on the property. This section does not exempt a person who is employed by the owner and who acts in the capacity of a builder or a specialty contractor of any kind. (C) To qualify for exemption under this section, an owner must personally appear and sign the building permit application. The local permitting agency shall provide the person with a disclosure statement, provided by the department, in substantially the following form: "Disclosure Statement State law requires residential construction to be done by licensed residential builders and specialty contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own builder even though you do not have a license. You must supervise the construction yourself. You may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence. The building must be for your own use and occupancy. It may not be built for sale or rent. If you sell or rent a building you have built yourself within two years after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built it for sale or rent, which is a violation of this exemption. You may not hire an unlicensed person as your residential builder or specialty contractor. It is your responsibility to make sure that people employed by you have licenses required by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances. Your construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations." (D) At the time an owner personally appears and signs the building permit application as required by subsection (C) of this section, the local permitting agency shall provide the owner with all forms necessary to comply with subsection (E) of this section. (E) If a residential building or structure has been constructed by an owner under the exemption provided for in this section, the owner of the residential building or structure must promptly file as a matter of public record a notice with the register of deeds, indexed under the owner's name in the grantor's index, stating that the residential building or structure was constructed by the owner as an unlicensed builder. Failure to do so revokes the statutory exemption. (F) Nothing in this chapter may be construed to authorize an owner of a residential building or structure to hire a person or entity that is not licensed or registered in accordance with this chapter.
Whom can I employ to perform construction work on my property?
Please contact the Building and Codes Division at 803-909-7200.
Do I need a permit if my project is under $500?
Generally, permits are not required for minor, non-structural repairs. To determine if a permit will be required, please contact the Building and Codes division at (803)909-7200 or
How do I schedule an inspection?
Call the Building and Codes division at (803)909-7200. Inspections must be called-in 24 hours ahead of time. You will need to provide your permit number and the type of inspection needed. Please be sure all work has been completed before requesting an inspection. The inspector must have safe access in order to enter and perform an inspection.
I have a North Carolina License, may I perform work in South Carolina?
You will have to contact the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR) to have your NC license reciprocated to South Carolina. Contact LLR at (803)896-4300 or click here.
Does each trade have to pull a separate permit for their trade on a commercial project?
No, however each trade shall be properly licensed in South Carolina and listed on the General Contractors permit application with the state License numbers listed.
I have a complaint with the Contractor who built my house. How do I address this problem?
All complaints must go through the Residential Builders Commission in Columbia, SC, and then be referred back to our office for further action. For more information call (803)896-4621 or click here.
How do I get a 911 address for my property?
You can reach the addressing department at (803)909-7482 or (803)909-7483.
How do I go about taking over a Building/Structure that has been foreclosed upon?
If the property has been repossessed by the Lender, they will need to supply the Building and Codes division with the Foreclosure documents. Along with that, they will need to provide the SC Licensed Contractor that will be completing the project. The Contractor will have to come into the Building and Codes office and do a Change of Contractor. There is a $30 transfer fee. Once that has been completed, we will schedule a "field inspection" and one of our inspectors will visit the property to determine the scope of work that has been done (which the previous builder would be responsible for) and what will be needed to finish the project (which the new contractor of record would assume responsibility for). It is possible for an Owner/Builder to take over a project as well; it would be the same procedure as above, except the Owner would take the place of the Contractor and the Bank.
Does York County require a Business License?
No, but you may be required to obtain a home occupation permit. Contact our zoning division at (803)909-7235.
When do I need to hire an Architect for my project?
South Carolina Board of Architectural Examiners requires the following: SECTION 40-3-290. Exceptions from coverage of chapter. (A) Nothing in this chapter prohibits a general contractor or a home builder from the preparation and use of details and shop drawings, assembly or erection drawings, or graphic descriptions used to detail or illustrate a portion of the work required to construct the project in accordance with the plans and specifications prepared or to be prepared under the requirements of this chapter. (B) Nothing in this chapter prevents or affects the practice of any other legally recognized profession. (C) If the drawings and specifications are signed by the authors with the true title of their occupations, this chapter does not apply to the preparations of plans and specifications for: (1) a building which is to be used for farm purposes only; (2) a building less than three stories high and containing fewer than five thousand square feet of total floor area except buildings of assembly, institutional, educational, and hazardous occupancies as defined by the Standard Building Code, regardless of area; (3) a detached single-family or two-family dwelling, as defined in Group R3 of the Standard Building Code, regardless of size, with each unit having a grade level exit and sheds, storage buildings, and garages incidental to the dwelling; (4) alterations to a building to which this chapter does not apply, if the alterations do not increase the areas and capacities beyond the limits of this chapter or affect the structural safety of the building. SECTION 40-3-320. Issuance of building permits. The building official or other authority charged with the responsibility of issuing building or other similar permits of any county, municipality, or other subdivision, before issuing the permit, must be in possession of a sealed set of plans and specifications for which the seal of a registered architect is required and to verify that the architect who sealed the architectural plans and specifications is an architect registered in South Carolina.
Do I need a permit for a storage building I purchased at Home Depot/Lowes etc.?
A zoning compliance is needed to verify setbacks. You will need to contact our Building and Codes division at (803) 909-7200 to determine if a building permit is required.