If you have lost an animal in York County or have found a stray one running loose, there are several steps that should be taken for the safety of the animal as well as the public.

If you have lost your pet, you may first want to  search our electronic database below:

Lost Pets 

To report a lost or found pet, contact the York County Animal Control at 628-3190.

If your pet is lost it may have been taken to the York County Animal Control. We do not identify any lost pets over the phone, so we strongly urge to please come to the shelter to see if your pet has come for a visit. The shelter is located off Highway 5 near the York County Landfill and the Moss Justice Center, one mile east of York. You can stop by the shelter anytime during office hours, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to see if your pet is there.

Lost animals are held for 5 days, provided they are not extremely sick or injured when they arrive at the shelter. After the 5 day stray waiting period, they are made available for public adoption, rescue only adoption, or are euthanized for aggressive behavior. The fees to claim a stray pet is as follows:

$75 for the first offense
$125 for the second offense
$150 for the third offense
Additional offenses will bring court action against the owner of the stray pet.
***Note: If you are not able to show proof of current rabies vaccination, please add an extra $6 to the above fees. (Owners claiming their pet may apply this $6 rabies charge toward getting the rabies vaccine at their vet if it is not current. Owners claiming their pet may also use $71.00 of the impoundment fee toward having their claimed pet spayed or neutered at their vet.)

Animals held longer than the first 24 hours of being picked up will cost pet owners an extra $9 a day.

It's also a good idea to notify area veterinarians and the media about lost pets. Post notices with a photograph of your pet on bulletin boards of local businesses, churches and other public locations.

If you have found a lost pet or a stray animal, contact Animal Control at (803) 628-3190. An animal control officer will come to your home to pick up a found animal or will set traps for stray animals that are running loose.








Is there a leash law for cats?
All domestic animals must be contained on their property or on a leash if being walked.
Does Animal Control spay/neuter pets?
York County Animal Control provides spay and neuter services for animals that are adopted from the shelter.
Will Animal Control remove wild animals from my house/property/vehicles such as snakes, bats, raccoons, etc?
Animal Control will can assist in an emergency situation, but normally you will be referred to a company that specializes in wild animal recovery.