How do I go about taking over a Building / Structure that has been foreclosed upon?

It is the responsibility of the property owner to verify if any existing permits or code violations exist on a property, and will assume all responsibility upon purchase of the property. If a person purchases a property that has a building or structure on it that was never permitted, or the permit was never completed, a new permit will need to be obtained. 

Once a permit has been applied for, prior to issuance, we will schedule a "field inspection" and one of our inspectors will visit the property to determine the scope of work that has been done (which the previous builder would be responsible for) and what will be needed to finish the project (which the new contractor of record would assume responsibility for). The new owner/contractor will have to assume all responsibility for structures or buildings constructed without a proper permit.  

Residential Permit Information (link)

Show All Answers

1. Once my site plans are approved, when can I obtain my grading permit?
2. How do I obtain a business license?
3. How does one become a Licensed Contractor?
4. As a homeowner, can I get the required permit(s) to work on my house without using a contractor?
5. Whom can I employ to perform construction work on my property?
6. Do I need a permit if my project is under $500?
7. How do I schedule an inspection?
8. I have a North Carolina License, may I perform work in South Carolina?
9. Does each trade have to pull a separate permit for their trade on a commercial project?
10. I have a complaint with the Contractor who built my house. How do I address this problem?
11. How do I get a 9-1-1 address for my property?
12. How do I go about taking over a Building / Structure that has been foreclosed upon?
13. Does York County require a business license?
14. When do I need to hire an architect for my project?
15. Do I need a permit for a storage building I purchased at Home Depot / Lowes etc.?