Today is Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 @ 9:00AM
• Winter Storm Warning expanded into the NC Foothills and extended in time to 6 PM for the counties along and east of I-77. ( Including York County)
• Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for all other counties in the forecast area.
• NC Mountains, NE GA, western Upstate: Flurries and light snow will continue through late morning, then taper off by midday, with minor accumulations of 1-3” possible.
• Rest of the Upstate of SC and NW NC Foothills/Piedmont: Precipitation is gradually transitioning from rain to snow from northwest to southeast early this morning, but should become all snow within an hour or so of daybreak. Snow may become heavy at times especially during the mid to late morning hours.
• Snowfall will taper off from west to east as early as mid-morning in the NC mountains, and not until late afternoon along and east of the I-77 corridor.
• Residual water from melting snow on roadways and temperatures in the single digits to teens tonight will create areas of black ice. Hazardous travel conditions expected during Thursday’s morning commute.
• Gusty winds and cold temperatures will result in wind chills in the -5 to -15 range in higher elevations of the NC mountains, and near zero in mountain valleys Wednesday night.