A conference call was held at 10 a.m. to discuss preparations for Hurricane Florence, which is now classified as a Category 1. It made landfall at 7:15 AM this morning at Wilmington, NC. It is making a slight slow turn west-southwest. The track is projected to be a little further north than yesterday. It should track between Columbia and Rock Hill westward before heading north.
In York County, today we anticipate sustained winds of up to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. On Saturday and Sunday wind speed projections are 25 mph sustained with 35 mph gusts. Winds should begin to diminish late Sunday. We also expect 10-12 inches of rain Saturday to Sunday, an increase from yesterday’s estimate.
Potential impacts for our area are saturated ground, localized flooding, trees down, and power outages.
Chuck Haynes, York County Emergency Management Director, cautions, “We urge citizens to use caution if driving due the wind blowing debris into the roadways. Also, be cautious of water in the roadways once the rain begins.”
We want to remind citizens of the following:
- York County Emergency Management does not provide sandbags for public use. Residents and businesses can purchase sandbags from local hardware stores or landscape companies.
- Those interested in volunteering can visit www.volunteersc.org.
- Red Cross shelters and pet shelter open at noon today. Details available at https://www.yorkcountygov.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=110
- Call the Public Advisory Line at 803-325-2400 with questions.
- Power outages should be reported to your power provider.
Report outage online at https://www.duke-energy.com/outages
Call 800-POWERON (800-769-3766)
If you experience a power outage and have already checked your main breaker, please call PowerTouch: 1-866-374-1234
City of Rock Hill Utilities
Report outage online at www.cityofrockhill.com/outage or download City of Rock Hill mobile app.
- Check the York County website at https://www.yorkcountygov.com/ and social media for current information. Also, follow local news stations to stay informed.