York County SC Homepage
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/15/2018 2:04:00 PM to 9/16/2018 11:33:02 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: September 13, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Florence FAQ's as of Sept. 15, 1:58 pm


  • Do NOT call 911 to report power outages. Please ONLY call 911 if you have a life-threatening emergency.
  • York County residents do not have to evacuate.

For Your Safety

  • When stop lights aren’t functional, remember to treat intersections like a 4-way stop.
  • If driving, watch for trees blocking roadways, low hanging power lines and flooding.
  • If schools and businesses are closed, you should stay home as much as possible.  Extra traffic can delay the recovery process of clearing streets and restoring power.
  • Do not walk through stormwater. In some cases manhole covers can be raised, causing a hazard.
  • Stay away from power lines on the ground and do not cut trees that are on lines. Report trees on lines or fallen lines to your utility company.
  • Do not bring propane tanks or grills inside.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get sandbags from York County Emergency Management?

York County Emergency Management does NOT have sandbags for public use. You can check local hardware stores to purchase sandbags for use at your home or business.

What do I do if my loved one has special medical needs, such as being bedridden, on life support, recent recovery from major surgery, etc.?

Call 803-578-2031 to make arrangements for those with special medical needs. If you are having a true medical emergency, call 911.

Are the schools closed?

School closures are managed by the school district. Check closures at Rock Hill Schools https://www.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/.

Are shelters open?

York County shelters opened at noon on Friday, September 14, 2018. Shelters should be used for residents who lack sufficient shelter, or who are concerned about prolonged power outages due to medical needs. Shelter locations are:

Boyd Hill Recreation Center

1165 Constitution Blvd, Rock Hill, SC 29732

Clover First Baptist Church

117 S Main St, Clover, SC 29710

Mt. Holly United Methodist Church

1996 Mt Holly Rd, Rock Hill, SC 29730

Resident who plan to utilize shelter locations should prepare to bring the following items:

  • Bedding
  • Clothing
  • Medications
  • Personal Toiletries
  • Your child’s favorite stuffed animal or blanket
  • Your emergency kit

What is the plan for pets?

York County Animal Control is providing a local temporary pet sheltering program in response to Hurricane Florence at the York County Animal Shelter, 713 Justice Boulevard, York, SC. This program is available to pet owners who are temporary residents of any of the three York County Red Cross shelters. Shelters opened at noon on Sept. 14.

In order to shelter your pet, you must bring the following to York County Animal Control:

  • Identification as a Red Cross Shelter resident
  • Pets should wear a collar with owner and pet identification
  • Copy of the pet’s current vaccine history.
  • It is preferred that pet owners bring a hard shelled travel crate or carrier to house their pet.
  • Any food should be clearly labeled with pet and owner’s name.

Additional animal boarding resources can be found at York County Animal Shelter Facebook (@yorkcountyanimalshelter) page and York County Animal Control Web page.

For any questions, please contact the York County Emergency Management Advisory Line at 803-325-2400.

Who do I call if my power is out?

  • Power outages should be reported to your power provider.

Duke Energy

Report outage online at https://www.duke-energy.com/outages

Call 800-POWERON (800-769-3766)

York Cooperative


If you experience a power outage and have already checked your main breaker, please call PowerTouch: 1-866-374-1234

City of Rock Hill Utilities

Report outage online at www.cityofrockhill.com/outage or download City of Rock Hill mobile app.

Call 803-329-5500

Who do I call to report downed trees?

Call 803-329-1110 to report downed trees. Your information will then be dispatched to the appropriate crews to be cleared. If a tree on your property falls on power lines or blocks the roadway, crews will cut the tree back to restore power and/or make the road passable. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to clear the tree debris from your property.

How do I find out if my house is in a flood plain?

Consult https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search or the map link on York County’s website  at https://maps2.yorkcountygov.com/ez/Search_Address.aspx, enter your address, and check the “District” information at the bottom right of the information displayed at bottom.

How can I protect my home from flooding?

  • Ensure gutters are unobstructed and downspouts are directed away from the house.
  • Move valuables to higher levels of the home. Move furniture, rugs, electronics and other belongings to upper floors, or at least raise them off the ground floor.
  • Protect important documents in weather-proof bags.
  • Elevate major appliances onto concrete blocks if they’re in danger of being flooded.
  • If flooding is imminent, shut off electricity at the breaker panel.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

Microphone stand at public hearing

Public Needs Assessment Hearing

Posted on: February 28, 2024
YC Planning & Development Seal

Regent Park Flood Study

Posted on: January 31, 2024 | Last Modified on: June 7, 2018
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow