York County SC Homepage
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/13/2018 5:27:07 PM to 9/15/2018 2:02:28 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: September 13, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Florence FAQ's as of Sept. 13, 5:19pm


• York County Emergency Management Public Advisory Line is active at 803-325-2400. Automated information is currently available, but will roll over to a live call center on Friday, September 14 at 8 a.m. At any time the Public Advisory may be reverted back to automated information.

• Please ONLY call 911 if you have a life-threatening emergency. If you can’t call, you can text 911. For non-life threating issues, call 803-329-1110. Do NOT call 911 to report power outages.

• York County residents do not have to evacuate.

• Current information is posted to the York County government website at www.yorkcountygov.com and to the York County SC Facebook and Twitter accounts. In the event of a power outage, tune in to WRHI radio on FM 100.1, FM 107.1, FM 94.3, FM 104.1, AM 1340.

For Your Safety

• When stop lights aren’t functional, remember to treat intersections like a 4-way stop.

• If driving, watch for trees blocking roadways, low hanging power lines and flooding.

• If schools and businesses are closed, you should stay home as much as possible. Extra traffic can delay the recovery process of clearing streets and restoring power.

• Do not walk through stormwater. In some cases manhole covers can be raised, causing a hazard.

• Stay away from power lines on the ground and do not cut trees that are on lines. Report trees on lines or fallen lines to your utility company.

• Do not bring propane tanks or grills inside.

• If using generators/gas grills/charcoal grills, do not use in enclosed areas. Please make sure main breaker is turned off.

Personal Precautions

• Take photos or video of your home and its contents for insurance documentation purposes.

• While we expect our water and wastewater treatment plants to remain fully operational, fill up your bathtub with water to use for washing. Fill empty containers or re-closable plastic bags with water and store in the freezer or refrigerator.

• Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting and open only when necessary. If you lose power, food will last longer.

• Ensure medications are filled. If power is out, refrigerated medications can be stored in a cooler with ice.

• Prepare flashlights and extra batteries.

• Charge your mobile devices.

• Have cash on hand in the event that credit/debit card machines are not operable due to power outages.

• Protect important documents.

• Consider your pets’ needs. Be sure they have safe shelter, food and water.

• Secure loose, lightweight objects that could cause damage in high winds (e.g., patio furniture, umbrellas, garbage cans).

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get sandbags from York County Emergency Management?

York County Emergency Management does NOT have sandbags for public use. You can check local hardware stores to purchase sandbags for use at your home or business.

What do I do if my loved one has special medical needs, such as being bedridden, on life support, recent recovery from major surgery, etc.?

Call 855-472-3432 to make arrangements for those with special medical needs. If you are having a true medical emergency, call 911.

Are the schools closed?

School closures are managed by the school district. Please check the appropriate school districts website.

Are shelters open?

York County shelters will open at noon on Friday, September 14, 2018. Shelters should be used for residents who lack sufficient shelter, or who are concerned about prolonged power outages due to medical needs. Shelter locations are:

Boyd Hill Recreation Center

1165 Constitution Blvd, Rock Hill, SC 29732

Clover First Baptist Church

117 S Main St, Clover, SC 29710

Mt. Holly United Methodist Church

1996 Mt Holly Rd, Rock Hill, SC 29730

Resident who plan to utilize shelter locations should prepare to bring the following items:

• Bedding

• Clothing

• Medications

• Personal Toiletries

• Your child’s favorite stuffed animal or Blanket

• Your emergency kit

If you have a pet, please try to make accommodations for boarding prior to arriving at the shelter. When boarding domesticated household pets, please ensure microchip information is up to date, you have vaccine records on hand, along with a carrier and leash clearly marked with your ownership information.

What is the plan for pets?

Some boarding facilities in the area still have open space. In addition, York County Animal Control is assessing potential off-site centers for animals to be housed during the emergency. Citizens will need to have current vaccine records to board at any facility. We request that when possible, citizens bring their own carrier with identification of animal and owner clearly labeled on the crate or attached to the crate/carrier.

Who do I call if my power is out?

Check with your electric provider to determine their processes for reporting outages. Local power providers include Duke Energy, York Electric Cooperative, City of Rock Hill utilities.

Who do I call to report downed trees?

Call 803-329-1110 to report downed trees. Your information will then be dispatched to the appropriate crews to be cleared. If a tree on your property falls on power lines or blocks the roadway, crews will cut the tree back to restore power and/or make the road passable. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to clear the tree debris from your property.

How do I find out if my house is in a flood plain?

Consult https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search or the map link on York County’s website at https://maps2.yorkcountygov.com/ez/Search_Address.aspx, enter your address, and check the “District” information at the bottom right of the information displayed at bottom.

How can I protect my home from flooding?

• Ensure gutters are unobstructed and downspouts are directed away from the house.

• Move valuables to higher levels of the home. Move furniture, rugs, electronics and other belongings to upper floors, or at least raise them off the ground floor.

• Protect important documents in weather-proof bags.

• Elevate major appliances onto concrete blocks if they’re in danger of being flooded.

• If flooding is imminent, shut off electricity at the breaker panel.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

Microphone stand at public hearing

Public Needs Assessment Hearing

Posted on: February 28, 2024
YC Planning & Development Seal

Regent Park Flood Study

Posted on: January 31, 2024 | Last Modified on: June 7, 2018
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow