York County SC Homepage

Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination

Submit a storwater complaint
LogoColor_no rising sun_no email

The best and fastest way to alert York County Stormwater to an illicit discharge is to submit a stormwater complaint by clicking the big blue button above.

YCEMIf your situation is an active spill and/or leak, please contact York County Emergency Management at

(803) 329-1110.

PalmettoPride Opens in new windowPalmetto Prides Litter Busters Hotline

1-877-7-LITTER (548837) 



Dump Truck

Illicit discharges are pollutants that could potentially cause harm to our stormwater systems and/or contaminate our waterways. York County actively seeks to prevent and eliminate illicit discharges in the County. To accomplish this the county relies on residents to report any issues they see. By simply clicking above and filling out the form, calling, or emailing you can help keep York County waters cleaner and safer!   

Many things are considered an illicit discharge. A few common sources of illicit discharges are listed below. 

  • Sewer systems
  • Septic tanks
  • Concrete and paint washouts
  • Mud/sand/silt from construction activity
  • Car washing (soaps/chemicals) 
  • Motor oil 
  • Radiator fluid
  • Spills from roadway accidents
  • Laundry water/gray water
  • Household toxins/chemicals
  • Cleaning chemicals
  • Pet waste
  • Yard debris 
  • Litter
  • Cooking grease

The general idea is anything that is not stormwater (and only storm water) does not belong in our storm drain system; or as we like to say "Only rain down the storm drain".

Illicit discharges and illegal dumping is a violation of § 152.041 of the York County Code of Ordinances and will be investigated. Violations are subject to corrective action requirements and civil penalties up to and including $1,000 per violation per day. To learn more about Illicit discharges visit the York County Code of Ordinances

CELMapp Opens in new windowNeed to have a sample analyzed? Visit the Commercial Environmental Laboratory Mapping application (CELMapp) provided by SCDHEC to find your nearest SCDHEC certified laboratory. 

Have solid waste? Wondering where you can take it to dispose of it properly? Check out the York County Solid Waste Collection & Recycling page for more information!

Have household hazardous materials? Checkout out this Household Hazardous Materials Procedures Flyer to find out how to safely disposed of them.

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow