Statewide Voting System
South Carolina's Paper-Based Voting System
The following information is open to the public and accessible via these online resources:
S.C. Code 7-13-1620(A) states, in part: “A voting system may not be approved for use in the State unless certified by a testing laboratory accredited by the Federal Election Assistance Commission as meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements of federal voting system standards.”
Any updates to the voting system in South Carolina must be, by State Code, Certified by the EAC with an accredited Voting System Testing Laboratory and the SC State Election Commission. The EVS 22.214.171.124 election system update is the first software/firmware update since the state wide voting system was purchased in 2019. To date, no other software/firmware updates have been performed on the voting system.
The current statewide voting system in South Carolina is Election Systems & Software Inc.'s ElectionWare Election Management System (EMS).
This system includes the following ES&S election equipment:
- ElectionWare EMS Report software
- ExpressVote Ballot Marking Devices
- DS200 Ballot Tabulators
- DS450 & DS850 High Capacity Ballot Tabulators
- ES&S Flash Drives
- ExpressPoll E-PollBook with ExpressLink Ballot Card Printers
A link to the SC Procurement of the voting system: Voting System Procurement Documents
All documents about the EAC certification can be found at www.eac.gov
- Hardware and software components used in voting system.
- Listing of OS system updates and patches affecting this release are included.
- VVSG v1 compliance testing.