Plan and Prepare
All disaster response and recovery starts and ends at the local level. At the most local level is your home and business. It is important to take note of the risks you, your home, and your business face with the threats posed in our area. These include flooding, tornadoes, nuclear, and hurricanes to name a few. Many people struggle if they are without power for few hours. Think of how you would manage without power for weeks.
York County Emergency Management encourages all citizens and businesses to prepare for disasters and emergencies. This includes creating plans for all types of disasters.
- Non-perishable food and water supplies for 72 hours.
- First aid kits and training.
- Diapers, formula, and baby supplies for those with small children.
- A "meet-up" location for family members if communications are down.
- In-case-of-emergency contacts in your cell phones.
- Identify a safe room inside your home interior with no windows.
- Pet supplies.
- Flashlights with extra batteries.
- Battery chargers for cell phones.
- Blankets and sleeping bags.
- Wet wipes and hand sanitizer.
- Extra cash and clothing.