Residential Permits

Do I need a York County Permit?

You can check on GIS to see what jurisdiction you are in. Our office only does the permits in York County that do not fall within another jurisdiction.

A permit is required when any authorized agent, contractor, or owner desires to construct, enlarge, alter, move, demolish a building, or structure. Permits are also required when the cost of work for electric, gas, or heating exceeds $25 and when the cost of plumbing is more than $50.

Apply for and pay for your permit, schedule or cancel inspections online. You can search for property information using the GIS link. Help is also available using GIS or setting up an account to pay online.
Evolve Website Button
York County GIS logo

Select a tab to see what permit information & forms you will need.

  1. New Residential Single Family
  2. Detached Accessory Buildings
  3. Mech, Elec, Gas, Plumbing
  4. Residential Additions
  5. Moving
  6. Mobile Home Setup
  7. Mobile Home Decal
  8. Swimming Pools
  9. Townhomes
  10. Demo

Please submit the forms listed below:

  • Residential Application (signed by applicant & owner or a signed contract)
  • NPDES Questionnaire
  • Energy Documents: REScheck (showing insulations of the doors and windows) & Manual J & D (duct & load calculations for HVAC)
  • Plat with setbacks clearly labeled (showing distances from all 4 property lines)
  • Plans (include foundation, framing details, elevations, floorplan)
  • HOA - Home Owners Association approval - if applicable
  • Septic Permit or Paid Water & Sewer Tap Receipt
  • Impact Form & Fee if in Fort Mill school district
  • Residential Subgrade if requested
  • If garage is detached - Garage Storage Workshop Detail Sheet. If garage is detached - a separate permit application will need to be completed.
  • Homeowner acting as contractor- Owner's Disclosure Statement (PDF)

Getting My Permit

Plan Review - It is very important that all required applications and forms be filled out completely. Once the permit application has been accepted, please allow 5 to 7 business days for review. Permit Services will contact you when your permit is ready.

We will need a copy of your water & sewer tap receipt, unless you are on septic. If on septic we will need a copy of permit issued from DHEC.

Once you have your permit in hand you can schedule your inspections by going on or calling Permit Services at 803-909-7200.

If you are looking to get power to run saws on the construction site you will need to contact the electric company.

Informational Documents