Building & Codes
Digital Plan Submittal:
York County now offers digital plan submittal. You may access the Evolve Public website. If you need assistance with a digital submittal, please contact Bea McCarter, Development Services Coordinator, at 803-909-7238. Hard copies will no longer be required, but this Department will continue to accept hard copy submittals for the foreseeable future.
- All required must be included in your submittal.
- View our payment policies (PDF).
- Updates on the status of your submittal will be available online.
The Building and Codes division is charged with enforcing South Carolina adopted internationally recognized construction standards for all new construction, renovations, and additions. Inspection personnel are certified by the State of South Carolina Building Code Council and strive to provide efficient and responsive service to the citizens of York County to ensure that contractors performing work in York County are properly licensed and qualified to perform in South Carolina. York County does not require a "business license" to contract work in the unincorporated areas of the County.
Additionally, as part of our commitment to quality customer service, we promise to make every effort to assist applicants, respond to inquiries, and resolve complaints or concerns in a professional, courteous and timely manner. We are constantly striving to better our services and welcome your feedback.
- Administrate the inspection and permitting program.
- Interpret, direct, and coordinate the enforcement of the International Code series.
- Assist outlying governing agencies with inspection and plan review.
- Provide administrative services to the Building Board of Appeals.
- Ensure that contractors are properly licensed in the State of South Carolina to perform work.
- For information regarding the design, inspection or approval of septic or waste disposal systems, please call SCDHEC at 803-898-3432 or (Local to York County) 803-909-7370.
Currently Adopted Codes for York County as of July 1, 2016
- 2015 International Building Code South Carolina version
- 2015 International Residential Code South Carolina version
- 2015 International Mechanical Code South Carolina version
- 2015 International Plumbing Code South Carolina version
- 2015 International Fuel, Gas Code South Carolina version
- 2015 International Fire Code South Carolina version
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2009 International A117.1 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- 2014 National Electric Code
Looking for an Application or Form, or just need General Building or Zoning Information? Go to our Development Services Page.