Solid Waste Disposal
York County Solid Waste Disposal is responsible for operating and maintaining a Solid Waste Transfer Station designed for the processing of municipal solid waste. The waste is received from municipalities and private waste haulers and loaded onto trailers for transport and disposal in an approved landfill facility in Richland County, South Carolina.
The county also operates a Construction and Demolition landfill where all construction type waste meeting regulatory guidelines is disposed of in the landfill. Waste tires are also collected at the York County landfill where they are shipped to a tire processing facility for recycling. Solid Waste Disposal also accepts yard debris at the landfill facility.
- Operation of a Waste Transfer Station for disposal of municipal solid waste and commercial waste
- Operation of a Construction, Demolition, and Land Clearing Debris landfill
- Processing of scrap metal and white goods for recycling
- Processing of waste tires through recycling
- Documentation of all wastes that enter and exit the landfill
- Billing of landfill accounts
- Performs regulatory monitoring of groundwater under landfill closure regulations
- Performs regulatory monitoring of methane generation under landfill closure regulations
Separate your waste as you load your material.
Different waste goes in different locations.
Transfer Station (MSW) - House Hold Waste: Kitchen waste, any food waste.
C&D Waste: Wood, couch, chairs, leaves, grass.
Metal: All metal
Electronics: All electronics
Refrigeration: Refrigerators, freezers, ac units.
Carpet: Do not put trash in your carpet. No nails, razors, or tack strips.
Brush: Limbs, trees, stumps, no leaves, no dirt, and no grass.
Concrete, Brick, Block, Asphalt: Place only these items at this location.
Tires: All tires
This Office Does Not
- Dichloroethane Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Fact Sheet on Landfill Groundwater Analytical Results with Map (PDF)
- Public Meeting on Landfill Groundwater Analytical Results (PDF)
- York Assessment of Corrective Measures Presentation 2017 (3a)
- York County Solid Waste Management Plan 2007 (PDF)
- York County Demonstration Of Need
- Solid Waste Ordinance Updated June 17, 2019