In response to SC Governor Henry McMaster's Executive Order, the York County Prison will suspend visitation until further notice. This suspension of visitation will also include community groups/organizations that have scheduled programming at the prison.
If you have any questions, please contact the Prison at 803-628-3052.
Executive Order: https://governor.sc.gov/news/2020-03/gov-henry-mcmaster-declare-state-emergency-order-lancaster-kershaw-county-schools
The York County Prison, a division of the York County Public Works Department, is located behind the Moss Justice Center in York.
The York County Prison is a 256-bed minimum security, male and female facility. It is equipped with modern security features, such as security cameras and touch screen monitors that open and shut all doors. The Prison population consists of minimum-security inmates who have already been sentenced for a particular crime. The inmates are also used as an additional labor force for the Public Works Department.
- Provides incarceration services for inmates sentenced in York County
- Provides incarceration for state inmates through an agreement with the South Carolina Department of Corrections
- Supplies additional labor requirements for the Public Works Department
- Provides adequate medical treatment for inmate population
- Offers tours and presentations to civic and school groups
- County Inmates: County inmates are individuals serving sentences generating from family court, general sessions, magistrate, and municipal court. These sentences are less than 90 days.
- State Inmates: State inmates are individuals serving on sentences of more than 90 days, generated by general sessions court.
- Inmate Labor: All inmates are utilized as a labor source for the York County Public Works Department, as well as various other county departments. This allows them to earn work credits while serving their sentence, which in turn reduces their sentence by as much as 50%.
- Where can I go to see if an individual is incarcerated at your facility?
- What are the visiting hours at the York County Prison?
- How do I put money on an inmate's commissary account?
- How would I mail an inmate housed at the York County Prison?
- Who may visit inmates at the Prison?
- What does Zero Tolerance Mean?