Nuisance Animals

It is against the law in York County for animals to become a public nuisance. This includes damaging property and trespassing on private property. Animal Control can investigate the related complaint. If animal control officers do not witness these violations, however, they may not be able to issue a citation depending on the evidence available to them.

Handling Nuisance Animals

  1. First, talk to the owners of the animal. They may not realize the animal is creating a problem.
  2. Second, if the first step is unsuccessful, please contact Animal Control. This will allow an animal control officer to contact the owners of the animal to discuss the problem and, hopefully, correct the situation.
  3. Third, if all else fails, you have the right to swear out a warrant at the local magistrate's office and take the owner to court.
In addition, barking dogs bring almost daily complaints to the York County Animal Shelter, particularly in the warm weather when windows are open. All barking dog complaints are investigated by York County Animal Control officers. Owners of barking dogs may be in violation of the County's noise ordinance. If your dog is barking, please investigate the cause.

If you need additional information or to report a barking dog, call Animal Control at 803-628-3190.

Related Documents

Amendments to Animal Control Ordinance (Effective 9/3/19)