Addressing is critically important to 9-1-1 and the county's emergency responders. While addressing is a function that most people never think about, a street address is the best and quickest way for an emergency responder to find a house or business during an emergency.
The addressing staff has many responsibilities, below is an example of a few:
- Assigns street addresses to new and existing residential and commercial properties.
- Maintains a countywide single address database, which is not only used by Public Safety Communications, but by all departments in the county.
- Coordinates with each municipality to ensure consistency of addressing data countywide.
- Reviews and approves all subdivision and street names to ensure that there are no duplicates within the county.
- Corrects addressing errors that are found by the emergency responders or our 9-1-1 communicators, and works with Public Works, the municipalities and property owners to ensure addresses and streets are properly posted.