Basic Voting Information

Election Day Voting

Polling places are open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day. Anyone in line at 7:00 p.m. will be allowed to vote. On Election Day, Voters must cast their ballot at their registered polling location or precinct. Check your voter registration information at Absentee By Mail Ballots cannot be returned or surrendered at the polls on election day.

Curbside Voting

Any voter, who because of physical handicap or age (65 or older), cannot enter the polling place in which he is registered to vote, or is unable to stand in line to vote, may vote outside that polling place in the vehicle in which he has driven or has been driven to the polls. Outside every precinct is a designated Curbside Voting parking space that the voter will need to park in and a Poll Manager will bring the voting machine to the vehicle in order for the voter to cast his/her ballot.

Curbside Voting is an option on Election Day that is available to any voter that may need this service; however, voting an Absentee Ballot by Mail can eliminate driving to the polls on election day.

Moved Within the County or Name Changes

If you move within York County or have a name change you need to correct your voter registration information. If you have your paper Voter Registration Card, please complete the back of the card with the correct information and return to our office. If you do not have your card, you can mail, email or fax the following information to the Registration and Elections Office:

  • Birthday
  • First and Last Name
  • New Address
  • Old Address
  • Signature (if using mail)
  • Telephone Number
  • Voter Registration Number

A new voter registration card will be mailed to you after corrections are made. The name of your precinct will appear on the white stub attached to your card and also includes the election districts you are eligible to vote in.

Moved from another County or State

If you move to York County from another South Carolina county or from another state, you will need to register as a new voter.

Straight Party Voting

Voting straight party will record a vote for all candidates within the same political party of your choice. A straight party vote does not include school board, nonpartisan, petition candidates, or questions.

Nonpartisan Offices & Candidates

School Board Trustees, Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Watershed Conservation Districts, Mayors, and City/Town Councils are Nonpartisan Offices. Candidates for these offices will be listed on the ballot after the partisan offices in alphabetical order by last name.

Voting For Individual Candidates

Vote for the candidates you choose regardless of party affiliation.

Combination of Straight Party & Individual Candidate Voting

Vote straight party but you may also vote for one or more candidates that are not affiliated with your straight party vote. A vote will be recorded for each candidate listed under the party you choose except where you indicated another preference.


York County Government Center
Board of Voter Registration and Elections of York County
Level 1, Suite 1201
6 South Congress St
York SC 29745

 Main Phone: (803) 684-1242
 Fort Mill Area:  (803) 909-7194
 Fax: (803) 684-7801
[email protected]