Register of Deeds
Attention Register of Deeds Customers
Due to threat of Covid-19, York County is implementing safety measures to prevent spread of the virus.
Effective March 16, 2020, there will be a maximum of 5 people allowed in the record room and computer room at a time. Searchers will be limited to 2 hour increments in an effort to provide everyone opportunity to get their searches done. If space is full, you will have to wait for space to become available. If you are sick, we ask that you do not come into the office.
We encourage everyone to take advantage of our online search and e-record documents if the service is available to you. We cannot do a search for you, but will be glad to provide you with copies of older documents via email that are not available online. You will need to have a book and page number in order to facilitate this request.
Please understand that this is being implemented in an effort to keep everyone safe and healthy. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this time.
The Register of Deeds office:
- Records deeds, plats, mortgages, state and federal tax liens, and any document pertaining to real estate transactions in York County
- Assures that clearly established legal requirements are met prior to recording
- Provides public access in the most efficient and courteous manner possible
- Assists the general public in obtaining, photo-copies of deeds, plats or other recorded documents for a fee (see Fee Schedule)
- Collects state mandated recording fees on all documents (see Fee Schedule)
- Provides certified true copies of recorded documents at the rate of $1.00 in addition to per/copy charge
- Provides on-site information on recordings
- Provides access to available records from other county offices via networked computers
- Provides online access to records beginning July 1, 1983 to present
The Register of Deeds Office Does Not:
- Perform title searches or extensive record or lien searches.
- Give legal advice or make legal recommendations of any kind. (For attorney information, call the S.C. Lawyers Referral Service at 800-868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program 843-761-8355
- Witness or notarize documents
- Prepare or complete deeds or other legal documents of any kind
- Check taxes; check Clerk of Court records, delinquent taxes, probate court records, or any other office's records in county. Although access is provided, The Register of Deeds office is unable to interpret records of other offices
- Report any public information to credit bureaus or agencies of any kind
PUBLIC NOTICE OF FEE CHANGES
Please be advised that effective August 1, 2019, all Register of Deeds document recording fees for South Carolina will be changed per Bill Number H.3243 which passed through the Legislature and was signed by Governor McMaster on May 16, 2019. Please see Recording Information Page for new fees.