Register of Deeds
The Register of Deeds office:
- Records deeds, plats, mortgages, liens, and any document pertaining to real estate transactions in York County
- Assures that clearly established legal requirements are met prior to recording
- Provides public access in the most efficient and courteous manner possible
- Assists the general public in obtaining, photo-copies of deeds, plats or other recorded documents for a fee (see Fee Schedule)
- Collects state mandated recording fees on all documents (see Fee Schedule)
- Provides certified true copies of recorded documents for a flat fee of $10.00 per document
- Provides on-site information on recordings
- Provides access to available records from other county offices via networked computers
- Provides online access to records beginning July 1, 1982 for mortgage documents, beginning January 1, 1979 for deeds and all plats.
The Register of Deeds Office Does Not:
- Perform title searches or extensive record or lien searches.
- Give legal advice or make legal recommendations of any kind. (For attorney information, call the S.C. Lawyers Referral Service at 800-868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program 843-761-8355
- Prepare or complete deeds or other legal documents of any kind
- Check taxes; check Clerk of Court records, delinquent taxes, probate court records, or any other office's records in county. Although access is provided, The Register of Deeds office is unable to interpret records of other offices
- Report any public information to credit bureaus or agencies of any kind
********************IMPORTANT RECORDING INFORMATION*******************
PLAT APPROVAL REQUIREMENTS
All subdivision and recombination plats and any plat that DOES NOT have a surveyor's note stating "NO NEW LOT LINES CREATED" will need to be approved by the city or county planning department prior to recording at the Register of Deeds office. "Mortgage Purpose Only" plats must also be approved.
E-recordings submitted after 4:00pm will be reviewed, recorded and indexed the following business day. All walk-in recordings submitted after 4:30pm will be reviewed, recorded and indexed the following business day.
FORMS OF PAYMENT ACCEPTED
The Register of Deeds office only accepts payment in form of cash, check or money order. We CAN NOT accept debit or credit card payment.
PUBLIC NOTICE OF FEE CHANGES
Please be advised that effective August 1, 2019, all Register of Deeds document recording fees for South Carolina will be changed per Bill Number H.3243 which passed through the Legislature and was signed by Governor McMaster on May 16, 2019. Please see Recording Information Page for new fees.