The Planning division is responsible for assisting the Planning Commission, County Council, and general public in preparing for the future growth and development of the County. In addition, the Planning Division develops policies and provide management guidelines to support community conservation efforts, preserve natural resources, and encourage smart growth and development. Typical activities include reviewing rezoning requests, transportation reviews, as well as long range and strategic planning.
Additionally, as part of our commitment to quality customer service, we promise to make every effort to assist applicants, respond to inquiries, and resolve complaints or concerns in a professional, courteous and timely manner. We are constantly striving to better our services and welcome your feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please feel free to contact us at any time. Quality Service Matters!
Our Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare, revise, update, implement and administer the Comprehensive Plan to ensure that it meets the county's current and long range needs, ensure its continued relevancy, and consistency with SC Code 6-29-510.
- Developing various long range and strategic plans as well as small area plans to ensure that the quality of life of York County's citizens are maintained.
- Providing the public with information regarding the proper land use designation for individual parcels as recommended by the land use plan map and comprehensive plan.
- Posting, evaluating, and analyzing the proposed rezoning requests for individual parcels for Council consideration.
- Conducting transportation reviews for subdivision road and commercial access development plans.
- Developing policies and providing management guidelines to support community conservation efforts including preserving natural resources and implementation of the open space plan.
- Participating in countywide and regional transportation planning, as well as open space planning.
- Prepare and administer various grant applications.
We now have new residential development area maps for the Fort Mill/Tega Cay and Lake Wylie area.
Development Services Page.