The Planning Division's purpose is to guide the development of York County, in coordination with the Comprehensive Plan, while maintaining an efficient transportation network and protecting natural resources. The division assists the general public, Planning Commission, and County Council with rezoning and growth related inquiries. The three primary functions of the Planning Division are long range planning, open space planning, and transportation planning.
Long Range Planning
- Prepare, revise, and update the Comprehensive Plan to ensure that it addresses the county's current and future needs, and that it is consistent with the South Carolina Local Government Comprehensive Planning Enabling Act of 1994.
- Prepare small area plans to address growth-related issues in specific areas of the county.
- Implement the Comprehensive Plan and small area plans through ordinance amendments.
- Address questions concerning a proposed project's consistency with adopted plans.
- Prepare and present rezoning requests to the Planning Commission and County Council.
- Guide the public through the rezoning process.
- Coordinate with regional transportation agencies and jurisdictions to improve the existing transportation network for all modes of transportation.
- Review project submissions for new subdivisions and commercial developments.
- Coordinate traffic improvement agreements with developers to address necessary infrastructure improvements.
- Maintain signage for the county's five bike routes.
Open Space Planning
- Provide staff support to the York County Forever Commission.
- Promote and assist the public with conservation easements.
- Identify potential sites for future parks and open space.
- Prepare and administer various grants.