Planning & Development Services
A Department policy on the Interpretation of the “Larger Common Plan for Development” definition found in Chapter 152 – Stormwater Management and Sediment Control Ordinance of the York County Code of Ordinances has been revised. Read on...
The Planning and Development Services Department oversees the land use planning, building and environmental compliance functions of the County. This Department is responsible for implementing and enforcing building and code regulations, issuing building and land disturbance permits, updating and implementing the County's Comprehensive Plan "York Forward 2035", enforcing County Zoning, Nuisance, and Subdivision Codes, and administering the County's stormwater management and floodplain ordinances.
- Coordinate, oversee, and administer the implementation of the York County Comprehensive Plan;
- Supervise and coordinate the enforcement of the International Codes series, Zoning Ordinance, Stormwater Management and Sediment Control Ordinance and Subdivision Code;
- Serve as staff liaison to the York County Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, York County Forever, and the Building Board of Appeals;
- Schedule, advertise, and facilitate various community meetings, public hearings, and presentations;
- Issue residential and commercial building permits and perform building inspections;
- Investigate Code Enforcement complaints;
- Perform inspections of active construction sites for compliance with erosion and sediment control ordinances and laws;
- Perform post-construction monitoring for best management practices;
- Review and approve construction plans, final plats, asbuilts, commercial site plans, Traffic Impact Analyses, home occupation permits, and minor subdivisions plats;
- Review and administer rezoning, preliminary plat, special exceptions, and variance applications;
- Assist the public with inquiries regarding land use and development/building related issues;