Planning & Development Services
The Planning and Development Services Department oversees the land use planning, building and environmental compliance functions of the County. This Department is responsible for implementing and enforcing building and code regulations, issuing building and land disturbance permits, updating and implementing the County's Comprehensive Plan "York Forward 2035", enforcing County Zoning, Nuisance, and Subdivision Codes, and administering the County's stormwater management and floodplain ordinances.
- Coordinate, oversee, and administer the implementation of the York County Comprehensive Plan;
- Supervise and coordinate the enforcement of the International Codes series, Zoning Ordinance, Stormwater Management and Sediment Control Ordinance and Subdivision Code;
- Serve as staff liaison to the York County Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, York County Forever, and the Building Board of Appeals;
- Schedule, advertise, and facilitate various community meetings, public hearings, and presentations;
- Issue residential and commercial building permits and perform building inspections;
- Investigate Code Enforcement complaints;
- Perform inspections of active construction sites for compliance with erosion and sediment control ordinances and laws;
- Perform post-construction monitoring for best management practices;
- Review and approve construction plans, final plats, asbuilts, commercial site plans, Traffic Impact Analyses, home occupation permits, and minor subdivisions plats;
- Review and administer rezoning, preliminary plat, special exceptions, and variance applications;
- Assist the public with inquiries regarding land use and development/building related issues;
FORT MILL IMPACT FEE IMPLEMENTATION
Council approved Third Reading of the Fort Mill School District Impact Fee Ordinance at their July 16, 2018, meeting. The impact fee for new residential construction, including mobile homes, located within the Fort Mill School District boundary is $18,158.00 per single family dwelling and $12,020.00 per multi-family unit.
If you did not submit a building permit application and receive approval prior to 5:00 p.m. on July 16, 2018, you are responsible for the new impact fee. For new residential building permits approved prior to this date and time, the impact fee is $2,500.
You must pay impact fees prior to receiving your building permit. Payments are made at the Planning and Development Services office located at 1070 Heckle Blvd., Ste. 107, Rock Hill, even if your project is located within the city limits of Tega Cay or town limits of Fort Mill. The County does not accept credit card payment for impact fees.
Please note, residential building permits are valid for six months from the date of approval. If you do not have at least one inspection within this six month period, your permit will automatically expire. If the permit was issued prior to the new impact fee being implemented, you will be responsible for paying the new impact fee upon renewing your permit.
Impact Fee Application Form
- Starting July 1, 2018 the York County Planning and Development Services Department will initiate a new rezoning application process. The purpose of the changes are to be more inclusive of the public earlier on in the application process. Public Comment will now be considered by staff prior to the creation and presentation of the staff report and the Planning Commission rendering their recommendation to County Council.
- Council approved a fee increase September 5, 2017, with an effective date of November 1, 2017, for building permits and grading plans and approved the implementation of fees for TIA reviews, Power Authorization Letters, and Utility Plan Reviews. New rates and fees.
Ordinances that have not been updated on American Legal.
- Ordinance 3018 - Event Venues
- Ordinance 3418 - Nonmetallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
- Ordinance 3518 - Microwinery, Winery Type I, Winery Type II,
- Ordinance 3618 - Liability Agreements
- Ordinance 3718 - Mining
- Ordinance 4418 - Event Venues Amendment
Digital Plan Submittal
York County now offers digital plan submittal and you can access this feature through the Evolve Public website. Hard copies are no longer required, but this Department will continue to accept them. If you need assistance with a digital submittal, please contact Bea McCarter at 803-909-7238. All required documents must be included in your submittal. Updates on the status of your submittal will be available online.
- View our payment policies (PDF).