Out of sequence SIREN TEST: All Sirens for Catawba Nuclear Station in and around York County to be tested on Thursday, June 30, 2016 between 10am - 11am.
Duke Energy engineers have upgraded all outdoor warning sirens. The sirens will be tested for three minutes to ensure the siren, all associated software, hardware and monitoring equipment are working properly.
This is ONLY a test.
No public action is required.
SCDOT reports ~Gordon Rd~ (SR-46-347) will be closed from Highway 324 to Highway 322 at the bridge site for bridge replacement at Stony Fork Creek beginning Monday, June 27, 2016. The construction is estimated to be completed in December 2016. The detour route will utilize SC Highway 324 and McConnells Hwy (SC Highway 322). The net detour length is approximately 3.53 miles.
The City of Rock Hill reports the E White St project is scheduled to begin on Thursday, Jun 2, 2016 and is estimated to take approximately six (6) months to complete. That puts the road re-opening in December 2016. The closure location will be on E White St from N Jones Av to Cummings St.
Temporary closure of Laurel Creek Dr between Sawgrass Dr / Deberry Holw and Birkglen Dr in the City of Rock Hill beginning Monday, May 23, 2016 through Friday, June 3, 2016. Rock Hill Utilities needs to rebuild this section of roadway. Detours will include using Deberry Holw, Sawgrass Dr and Birkglen Dr.
West White Street will be closed permanently from Adams Street to Columbia Avenue to accommodate the construction of the new Round - About intersection.This closure will be effective Monday – March 7, 2016 at 8:00 AM
York County Public Works reports ~ Running Brook Ln, off of Springsteen Rd, at the end of Evelyn St in the Sturgis Estate Subdivision is closed for repairs. The portion of the roadway that was damaged by the heavy rains will be closed for approximately two weeks. The closed section is at the creek area where the cross-line pipe is located. There is access to the roadway at both ends. This closure will be effective Monday, May 2, 2016.
Hensley Road in Fort Mill will be closed to through traffic beginning Monday, April 11, 2016 as part of the Fort Mill Southern Bypass construction project. Hensley Road will be closed .06 miles east of Featherson Road to .20 miles east of Legion Road. This road will be closed beginning Monday, April 11, 2016 and will reopen on Saturday, April 30, 2016.
DETOUR: Follow SC Route 160 to the intersection of Hensley Road, turn right onto Hensley Road, then left onto Williams Road, travel to the intersection of Dobys Bridge Road, turn right onto Dobys Bridge Road and travel to the intersection of Hensley Road.
- Bridge Replacement over Allison Creek on State Road S-46-64, known as Lincoln Road, York. Construction is scheduled to begin February 15, 2016 and is estimated to be complete in September 2016. During construction, the road will be closed at the bridge site and traffic will detour using S-46-732, Boyd Rd and S-46-238, S Jim McCarter Rd. The detour route is approx 1.02 miles.
Blasting Permits issued for York County by the Office of State Fire Marshal
- Valid until Jul 01, 2016 ~ 991 Hawkfield Rd, Rock Hill, SC in the Lesslie Fire District
- Valid until Jul 13, 2016 ~ 1590 Springfield Pkwy (Carolina Orchards Subdivision) in the Fort Mill Fire District
- Valid until Jul 28, 2016 ~ 5653 Charlotte Hwy, Clover SC in the Bethel Fire District
- Valid until Aug 01, 2016 ~ 485 True Rd, McConnells SC in the McConnells Fire District
- Valid until Aug 26, 2016 ~ 5600 Block of Charlotte Hwy in Clover SC (Paddlers Cove Subdivision) in the Bethel Fire District
- Valid until Sep 27, 2016 ~ 1048 Belmar Ln, Rock Hill SC (Monterey Hills Subdivision) in the City of Rock Hill Fire District
- Valid until Dec 04, 2016 ~ 1936 Masons Bend Dr in Fort Mill SC (Masons Bend Subdivision) in the Fort Mill Fire District
- Valid until Jul 01, 2017 ~ 991 Hawkfield Rd, Rock Hill SC in the Lesslie Fire District
Outdoor Warning Sirens Test Dates
Sirens are tested on Wednesdays.
- January 13, 2016
- April 13, 2016
- July 13, 2016
- October 12, 2016
Warming Centers - CLOSED for the season
The Men's Warming Center
Bethel United Methodist Church
1232 Curtis St, Rock Hill, SC 29730
Runs November 15, 2015 - March 13, 2016
Doors open nightly at 6 p.m.
Contact Number (803) 327-4881
Women and Children's Warming Center
The Salvation Army
119 S Charlotte Av, Rock Hill, SC 29730
Runs November 13, 2015 - March 2016
Doors open nightly at 6 p.m.
Contact Number (803) 324-5141
Office of Emergency Management acts as a liaison between York County
and local, state and federal agencies coordinating the planning, response, recovery and mitigation activities for natural and manmade disasters. Locally, Emergency Management assists municipal law enforcement, York County Sheriff’s Office, EMS, fire and rescue departments to serve and protect the citizens of York County.
Office of Emergency Management is comprised of three divisions that are under the direction of the Emergency Management Director. The divisions are:
- Catawba Nuclear Station Emergency Planning
- Emergency and Disaster Operations Planning
- Emergency Response Coordination
- Hazardous Materials Coordination
- Incident Command System and Radiological Training
- SARA Title III Regulation and Reporting
- Special Events Coordination
- What should I do if we have an earthquake?
- In 1886 a major earthquake occurred in the Charleston area. York County was effected. South Carolina conducts earthquake training and drills annually.
- Can York County be hit by a Tsunami?
- No, a tsunami is a surge of sea water and can only occur along the coast.
- Where are the tornado shelters?
- It is too dangerous to be out when a tornado warning has been issued, therefore attempting to go to a shelter could put the public in greater danger than staying where they are. The safest thing to do during a tornado warning is to go to a center room on the lowest point of the structure away from windows and doors and shelter-in-place.