The Planning division is responsible for assisting the Planning Commission, County Council, and general public in preparing for the future growth and development of the County. In addition, the Planning Division develops policies and provide management guidelines to support community conservation efforts, preserve natural resources, and encourage smart growth and development. Typical activities include reviewing rezoning requests, transportation reviews, as well as long range and strategic planning.
Additionally, as part of our commitment to quality customer service, we promise to make every effort to assist applicants, respond to inquiries, and resolve complaints or concerns in a professional, courteous and timely manner. We are constantly striving to better our services and welcome your feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please feel free to contact us at any time. Quality Service Matters!
Our Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare, revise, update, implement and administer the Comprehensive Plan to ensure that it meets the county's current and long range needs, ensure its continued relevancy, and consistency with SC Code 6-29-510.
- Developing various long range and strategic plans as well as small area plans to ensure that the quality of life of York County’s citizens are maintained.
- Providing the public with information regarding the proper land use designation for individual parcels as recommended by the land use plan map and comprehensive plan.
- Posting, evaluating, and analyzing the proposed rezoning requests for individual parcels for Council consideration.
- Conducting transportation reviews for subdivision road and commercial access development plans.
- Developing policies and providing management guidelines to support community conservation efforts including preserving natural resources and implementation of the open space plan.
- Participating in countywide and regional transportation planning, as well as open space planning.
- Prepare and administer various grant applications.
Exit 90 Gateway Sign Project is now COMPLETE!
Exit 90, the access between I-77, SC 51, and Carowinds Boulevard (US 21), is a major gateway into South Carolina from North Carolina, and it offers a first impression of the Palmetto State and York County to many driving south on I-77. Unfortunately, the impression that most get is not representative of York County or the State of South Carolina. During the York County Planning and Development Services Exit 90 Master Plan Study, it was discovered that most stakeholders maintain a positive vision for the Exit 90 / Carowinds Boulevard area and understand that despite its present state, the gateway area offers excellent long-term development potential. In addition, many recognized that although there are issues, there are also many assets providing considerable opportunities to improve the aesthetics, functionality, and economic conditions in the area.
On January 13, 2012, York County was awarded grant funding in the amount of $100,000 (20% or $20,000 local match) from the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SC DOT) through the Transportation Enhancement Program (TEP) for the Exit 90 Gateway Enhancement Project.
Following the formal grant award, staff solicited local stakeholder groups to participate in the Exit 90 Gateway Sign Steering Committee with the goal of creating a formal and aesthetically pleasing gateway into York County and the State of South Carolina. Through a series of several meetings held over a five (5) month period, the committee recommended a number of design options to be presented to SCDOT for review and approval.
For further information call Stephen Allen, Planning Services Manager at 803-909-7223.
Looking for an Application or Form, or just need General Building or Zoning Information? Go to our New Development Services Page.