The Planning division is responsible for assisting the Planning Commission, County Council, and general public in preparing for the future growth and development of the County. In addition, the Planning Division develops policies and provide management guidelines to support community conservation efforts, preserve natural resources, and encourage smart growth and development. Typical activities include reviewing rezoning requests, transportation reviews, as well as long range and strategic planning.
Additionally, as part of our commitment to quality customer service, we promise to make every effort to assist applicants, respond to inquiries, and resolve complaints or concerns in a professional, courteous and timely manner. We are constantly striving to better our services and welcome your feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please feel free to contact us at any time. Quality Service Matters!
Our Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare, revise, update, implement and administer the Comprehensive Plan to ensure that it meets the county's current and long range needs, ensure its continued relevancy, and consistency with SC Code 6-29-510.
- Developing various long range and strategic plans as well as small area plans to ensure that the quality of life of York County’s citizens are maintained.
- Providing the public with information regarding the proper land use designation for individual parcels as recommended by the land use plan map and comprehensive plan.
- Posting, evaluating, and analyzing the proposed rezoning requests for individual parcels for Council consideration.
- Conducting transportation reviews for subdivision road and commercial access development plans.
- Developing policies and providing management guidelines to support community conservation efforts including preserving natural resources and implementation of the open space plan.
- Participating in countywide and regional transportation planning, as well as open space planning.
- Prepare and administer various grant applications.
Rezoning Fee Increase effective September 1, 2016:
On June 20, 2016, York County Council approved Rezoning fee increases to become effective on September 1, 2016. Please refer to the Development Fee Increases Document.
2014 Comprehensive Plan Update - YORKFORWARD
Looking for an Application or Form, or just need General Building or Zoning Information? Go to our New Development Services Page.
- How do I obtain a copy of the land use plan map and comprehensive plan?
- Copies of the land use plan map and comprehensive plan are available to the public for a nominal fee through the Development Coordinating Center at the York County Planning and Development Services Department located at the York County Complex, 1070 Heckle Boulevard, Rock Hill, SC. For further information, please call (803) 909-7240.
- What is RFATS?
- RFATS is the Rock Hill-Fort Mill Area Transportation Study, a regional planning authority that helps prioritize and plan transportation needs. RFATS is the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the urbanized area of York County which is composed of resentatives from Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Catawba Indian Nation, and York County. RFATS represents the urbanized area of eastern York County. For further information, please visit RFATS.
- Is there a map with all of the current road projects in York County?
- For information on current road projects, please visit the Pennies for Progress website by clicking here. For further information, please visit the SC Department of Transportation website at www.scdot.org. Also, more information is available at the RFATS website, please click here to be linked.
- Is there mass transit in York County?
- York County Access is a cooperative effort of York County and the City of Rock Hill and is operated by the York County Council on Aging. This service provides public transportation for residents of rural York County and the City of Rock Hill. For more information, please call the Council on Aging at (803) 327-6694 or refer to the York County Access Brochure.
Charlotte Area Transit System, CATS, offers the 82x Rock Hill Express route from Rock Hill and Fort Mill to Charlotte. There are four Park & Ride facilities in York County allowing for an easy commute to and from Charlotte. Please click here for information about the 82x Rock Hill Express route. For general information regarding CATS, please visit the website by clicking here.
- What is the Carolina Thread Trail?
- The Carolina Thread Trail is a regional network of greenways and trails that will reach 15 counties and 2.3 million citizens. It will link people, places, cities, towns and attractions. The trail will preserve our natural areas and will be a place for exploration of nature, culture, science and history. For more information, please visit the CTT website by clicking here.
- How do I get in touch with SC DOT?
- The South Carolina Department of Transportation website can be viewed by clicking here, or the local SC DOT office can be reached at (803) 327-6186.
- Where should I direct comments and questions rearding the Open Space Plan or the Carolina Thread Trail Plan?
- Direct all questions and comments to: Allison Love Planning & Development Services Dept. Long Range Planner 1070 Heckle Boulevard, Building 107 Rock Hill, SC 29732-2863 Phone: 803.909.7224 Fax: 803.909.7173 Email: email@example.com