The last day of operation for the York County Collection & Recycling Center located at 964 Tom Hall St (Hwy 160 E), Fort Mill SC, across from the Leroy Springs Recreational Complex is Saturday, March 11, 2017. The lease for this center was not renewed due to the property being sold.
A Temporary site will be open on Monday, March 3, 2017 at 1390 Hensley Road Fort Mill SC. The temporary site will operate from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The temporary site will accept household waste, bulky items, mixed recycling and clear, green, brown and blue food / beverage glass. County officials are working to secure a new permanent location and will announce the address when details are finalized.
Additionally, in the Fort Mill area there is the Baxter Collection & Recycling Center at 1731 Hwy 160. Residents are welcome to use any of the other 15 Collection & Recycling Centers. Complete list of Collection & Recycling Centers
- Will you come collect my garbage at my home?
- No, York County Solid Waste Collection & Recycling does not provide door-to-door garbage collection services.
- Can you give me the name of the private garbage collection companies in the area?
- No, you may find the name of a private business in the phone book yellow pages under “garbage” or “trash”. If you notice that your neighbor has someone picking up their garbage just ask them about the company they use. Many homeowners associations also maintain a list of service providers.
- There is trash on the side of the road, when will it be cleaned?
- York County cleans roadside litter on a regular basis and keeps a list of requests as they come in. If you call our office with a roadway that needs to be cleaned it will be added to the list and will be cleaned in the order it was taken.
- Whom can I rent a green dumpster from?
- Either look in the yellow pages of the phone book for a private garbage company to rent a dumpster or call the local government where you live to see if they rent dumpsters. York County Government does not rent dumpsters.
- Where can I dispose of yard debris?
- The Collection and Recycling Centers do not accept yard debris for disposal. Debris is accepted at the York County Landfill located at 289 Public Works Road in York, off Highway 5 near the Moss Justice Center. The Landfill phone number is (803) 628-3186 and the hours are 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon on Saturday.
- I saw something at the Collection and Recycling Center that I would like to have - will you give me permission to go back and get it?
- No, the County Ordinance does not allow anything to be taken by the public from a Collection and Recycling Center.
- Which Collection and Recycling Center is closest to my house?
- Please see our map for the center closest to your house. If you need assistance locating the site closest to you call York County Solid Waste Collection & Recycling at 803-628-3181.
- What are the hours of Collection and Recycling Centers?
- 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. every day except Wednesday and Sunday. The centers are closed for special holidays with a closing notice being posted at each site. Announcements are also sent to all local media and the closing will be posted on the York County Government website.
- How can I get involved in the Adopt A County Road program?
- Individuals or groups may adopt a 1 or 2 mile stretch of a county road. The office provides bags, vests, safety training and collection of bags. Please see https://maps2.yorkcountygov.com/ez/Search_AACR.aspx
for available roadways.
- Can I drop off a major appliance or large furniture item at the collection centers? Will someone be there to unload it for me?
- The Collection & Recycling Centers accept appliances in the scrap metal box and large bulky furniture items in the miscellaneous box. Please bring someone with you to assist you in unloading the items when you deliver them to the Collection & Recycling Centers for disposal.
- How can I dispose of paint?
- Latex paint is accepted on a daily basis at the convenience centers and citizens may bring up to 10 gallons per visit. Oil based paint and stains are received at the bi-annual Household Hazardous Material Collection events. Call the York County Collection & Recycling Office at 628-3181 for the date of the next event.
- Does the county provide private citizens with recycling bins?
- York County does not provide recycling bins to citizens, but does provide “recycle bags” to citizens that can be used for mixed recyclables. Once the bags are filled, they may be brought to the Collection & Recycling Centers for recycling. Just ask the attendant on duty for a recycle bag. If you live in the city limits of any of the towns within York County, you can call the town hall or public works department and may provide you with a recycling bin.
- Where can I dispose of antifreeze?
- Antifreeze is accepted at the Collection and Recycling Centers for recycling or bring it to the York County Household Hazardous Material Collection Event at 220 Public Works Road off Hwy 5 near the Moss Justice Center. Please call York County Collection & Recycling at 803-628-3181 for the date of the next event.
- Why are the Collection and Recycling Centers closed on Wednesday?
- The York County Solid Waste Collection & Recycling Department perform maintenance and upkeep of the sites on Wednesdays. If you have garbage or recycling that you need to dispose of on a Wednesday there is a dumpster and a recycling container at the entrance of the York County Landfill at 289 Public Works Road in York off Hwy 5 near the Moss Justice Center. The Landfill phone number is 803-628-3186 and they are open 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon on Saturday.
- Why can I only take small amounts of garbage to the Collection and Recycling Centers?
- Space is limited at the centers and designed for waste generated by households. If you arrive with a large load, you may be asked to take the waste to the landfill.