Come together with your family, coworkers, church members, friends, and neighbors Adopt-A-Stream!!!!!
York County has joined together with other municipalities to form the Adopt-A-Stream program. The program is a citizen-based monitoring and litter prevention initiative intended to protect the health and beauty of our local waterways.
Adopt-A-Stream Brief Overview
- Pick a section of stream or a cove that you would like to keep clean and Adopt-It for a least a two year period.
- Commit to one "stream walk" to assess the overall health of your adopted stream/cove.
- Commit to two (2) clean-ups per year.
York County even provides all the supplies you will need, such as gloves, safety vests, garbage bags and we will even pick up all your bagged trash!
Who can Adopt-A-Stream?
Any civic or community group
*******Each group must include a participating adult 18 years or older. Individuals under the age of 18 may participate under the supervision of an adult.
Litter free waterways
Recognition of your group on an Adopt-A-Stream sign
Certificate of Appreciation
Community pride in the local streams and waterways
Scout badge earning possibilities
How Do We Sign-Up?
- Pick an area of stream or cove that you wish to adopt and pick a coordinator from your group.
- Call the Environmental Compliance Outreach Coordinator at 803-818-5145 or click here to complete the online application.
- Receive approval from York County and then your coordinator will attend a brief informal training session.
- Complete two clean-up events per year.
The work will be performed under and in accordance with the York County Environmental Compliance Division's Adopt-A-Stream General Program Conditions and Safety Guidelines found here and incorporated herein by reference. Applicants to whom Adopt-A-Stream Program Designation and Agreement are issued shall at all times indemnify and save harmless York County Government and all of its employees, agents and officers, from responsibility, damage or liability arising from the exercise of the privileges granted under designated programs. The program Designation and Agreement may be terminated by York County Government at any time. York County reserves the right to deny an adoption request or to cancel the Local Program Designation Agreement of any group.