The Floodplain Management Division of the Planning and Development Services Department oversees the protection of floodplain and floodway areas of the County. The Floodplain Manager also implements regulations for development within the floodplain. These regulations have been set by various federal, state, and local agencies to preserve the function of natural floodplains and to prevent loss of life and property due to issues that may arise when natural water courses are altered.


  • Review subdivision plans from developers' engineers and individual residential plans for compliance with York County, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resource design standards.
  • Reviews certificates of elevation.
  • Assist residents and developers to identify floodplain areas.
  • Develop and/or revise York County design standards and ordinances in order to properly review submitted documents from all possible sources.
  • Provide customer service and technical assistance to all York County departments, other government agencies, consultants, vendors, developers, public, etc. for all projects on an as needed basis.

This Office Does Not:

  • Review plans for projects outside designated boundaries (i.e. inside City limits).


Will FEMA pay for damage to my property due to flooding?
Most floods don't qualify for federal disaster aid, but flood insurance will cover all flood-related damages.
If I am not located in a flood hazard area, will I be impacted by flooding?
25% of flood insurance claims come from areas not shown in a FEMA floodplain.
How much damage does flooding cause?
Flood damage in the U.S. totals $3 billion annually.
How do I protect myself in a flood?
Should you be near rising waters, seek higher ground. Most flood deaths happen in vehicles so avoid driving through flooded areas.
What are the chances that my homewill be impacted from a flood?
A home located within an Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) has a 26 percent chance of suffering flood damage during the term of a 30-year mortgage.
When can I purchase flood insurance?
Flood insurance can be purchased at any time. However, there is a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy can become effective.
Do I need flood insurance if I live along Lake Wylie?
Lake Wylie has a designated flood stage of 570ft above mean sea level. This level is controlled by the Lake Wylie dam in Rock Hill. Even though this is true, your mortgage company may require you to carry flood insurance.
How do I buy flood insurance?
It's a good idea to have your flood insurance through the company that provides your homeowners' or your business' private insurance.  If your agent does not write flood insurance or you do not have an agent, contact the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 1-888-379-9531 or
What is a floodplain?
A floodplain is the part of the land where water collects, pools, and flows during the course of natural events. Such areas are classified as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA), and are located in a 100-year flood zone. The term "100-year flood" is a little confusing. It is the flood elevation that has a 1- percent chance of being equaled or exceeded each year; it is not the flood that will occur once every 100 years. The likelihood of a flood occurring within a 100-year stretch of time is very, very high, but there’s no way to predict when the next flood will occur – or the one after that.
What is a Flood Hazard Map?
Flood hazard maps, also called “Flood Insurance Rate Maps” or “FIRMs” are used to determine the flood risk to your home or business. The low- and moderate-risk zones are represented on the maps by the letter “X” or an “X” that is shaded.   The high-risk zones will be labeled with designations such as “AE”.